Friday, January 30

Quack Quack!

I'm sitting in here at Starbucks cruising the diet/health websites on the look-out for new recipes and came across the Dr Bernstein site.

Here is what this "doctor" claims:
With our program we can stimulate the body to break down fat faster than normal , releasing stored energy and food value that the body uses at the rate of up to ¾ lbs of fat per day. The program involves a unique combination of a low calorie diet of regular grocery store foods, behavior modification counseling, education and vitamin and mineral supplements. We require you to come in at least 3 times a week to be monitored by nurses and doctors who check your progress and health. There’s no guesswork involved.

Most importantly, the regimens ensure that you lose only fatty tissue. Unlike other diets - you will never lose essential muscle tissue, vital proteins, electrolytes and bodily fluids. Our patients lose fat tissue that has mainly been stored in such problem areas as the waist, hips and thighs. 


This guy is supposed to be a medical doctor and has made a fortune in his weight loss clinics.
After you give him a $100.00 deposit to come in for a consultation, he puts you on a 800 calorie per day diet. He insisted you must follow his diet and come in 3 times per week for B12+ vitamin shots, charging another $150.00 per week.
I guess it's a deal because your grocery bills on only 800 calories a week are going to be really low!

The problem with his plan - I know it takes 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. I don't think you would find a single scientist to disagree with that figure. So to lose 3/4 lb per day means you must be in a 2625 calorei deficit. 
Example - To maintain my current weight I would need to eat 2100 calories per day, so how could I possibly have a 2625 reduction.  
Am I missing something?
This 'doctor' says nothing about exercise or weight training to build muscle.... again he claims "you can easily lose 80 pounds in 4 - 5 months. That’s a typical result without exercise". 

Here is what I have to say about Dr Berstein and his diet plan....QUACK QUACK!!!


2 comments:

  1. Quack Quack is right! Let us not forget that at an 800 calorie a day diet almost anyone would lose weight ... regardless of the vitamin shots. Plus, vitamins or no, it is well known that under 1200 calories for a woman and 1400 calories for a man is unhealthy beacuse you cannot get the balance of nutrients, etc that your body expects (yea, yea he gives vitamins! how healthy can THAT combo be?) Plus is that helping the person learn healthy lifestyle choices or does it just mean that as soon as they are fed up with the "diet" and forking out $150 per week they are going to regain their weight AND MORE!! They will have lost their muscle (I don't care what he says) and keep most of the fat. The weight that they regain after this diet will be ALL fat which is unhealthier for them and it burns less calories. So, QUACK, QUACK, QUACK. Sadly, there are no "easy" ways for us to lose the weight. It is diet and exercise totalling less than we are taking in. Period.

    Hope that you are back on the butter pile bandwagon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my musician clients had gone on this diet with Bernstein. She said she basically ate Matzo all day. If you are unfamiliar with matzo, it is the sheets of unleavened bread that you allowed to eat during the Jewish Passover holidays. It is nothing but flour, salt and water - made into cracker type of sheets.

    I am back on the butter scale diet and feeling okay about my lapse last weekend.

    I had to make food for the breakfast buffet at our curling bonspiel banquet tomorrow, and I say everyone was bringing baked carbs, so I am making no-fat yogurt parfaits for the ladies.
    I do believe the other women think I'm nuts, but I am not going to eat those cookies stuffed with rollo chocolates, cinnamon buns and other baked goods they bring.

    My teams theme is Red Green...as in the colours and the television show...must be Canadian to know this guy. Anyhow, I am spending my evening covering a ball cap in duct tape and we are covering our rocks in duct tape.

    Not much in the exercise dept this week, but I think the scale has moved down. It was showing a 1 lb drop this morning, but it's not my weigh-in date, so I will have to wait until Monday to post official butter loss.

    Cute photos.

    ReplyDelete