Thursday, February 12

Rewiring Your Mind

Do you say things such as "I think I look fat", "Nothing works", "Exercise is hard", or "my schedule is so busy"?

This is a type of hurtful self-talk that goes through your head and needs to be changed.


Positive self-talk goes more like this, "I am lean", "I always find time to exercise", or "losing fat comes easy to me" and "I always use proper food to fuel my metabolism".

In order to gain confidence you need to ingrain this positive self-talk into your subconscious.
Say these positive statements at least three times a day, over a 30 day period.
Don't use any negativity such as "yeah, like that will ever happen!"

Most negative self-talk comes from other people, from past comments we have heard during our lives and from when we were young.  "Oh don't wear that it makes you look a bit chunky", "doesn't she look slim, if you ate a bit less you could look like her", or "don't be so lazy, go outside and exercise".  Sometimes you hear parent's saying these things to their small children, other times it's the husband or girlfriend/boyfriend who makes such comments..sometimes a complete stranger walking by comments.

Learn to turn these negative comments around, "That is not like me..."
As an example, when you feel tired and slow say to yourself "that's not like me, I am fit and like to move and exercise".

Friends and family can be the worse source of negativity.
"One slice or pizza wont' kill you, it has cheese on it and that's healthy".
Don't tell them that you  are trying to lose weight and they won't make any sabotage comments. 
When they order pizza you can simply say "I don't feel like having pizza and I enjoy salad".

Weight loss takes effort and while you can't control outside sources and comments you can certainly control your own thoughts.  Just think when your mind brings up a negative thought, "Is this helping me or hurting me".

It took all my life to be what I am today. I know it will take at least 30 days to rewire and change my mindset.

Here are some of the statements I will use to rewire my brain, you can use these or others which suit your situation:
  • I allow only positive words to enter my mind
  • I fuel my body with proper nutrition to increase my metabolism and increase fat loss
  • I always find time to exercise
  • I enjoy exercise
  • Exercise revitalizes me
  • I always feel better after I exercise
I have printed these out and put them on the fridge - I will repeat them at least 3 times a day out loud.

I have read all about making written contracts and positive thinking, but I feel this small step may work best for me.

While thinking about all this stuff I realized that my brains rewiring to the negative side (is this like the dark side Luke) came when I stopped working. 
I remember being embarrassed about saying I didn't work and was a stay at home mom. My work so defined me. I loved my job and enjoyed the social interaction it provided.
The longer I stayed home and just took care of kids, the less I took care of myself ... especially after they started school. My life became wrapped up in theirs. I think my self-esteem took a downturn at this time.
Outside comments?...My husband once said I should not wear a certain pair of shorts...and I recall that was one of the last summers I felt like wearing shorts.
A little girl once passed me on the beach while in my bathing suit and commented to her mother about the heavy lady...that was one of the last summers I wore a bathing suit.
And I never realized how these outside comments controlled my thinking and life.

Okay, positive thoughts are the order of the day and it's time to go get ready for curling.





No comments:

Post a Comment