I noticed that I have slid in my weight loss plan the past two weeks and was trying to consider what needs to be done to get back on track. I’m hoping this little tweaks will be helpful.
1. Restart the big picture. I have not been writing down specific goals about what I would like to change or where I want to be in a month or year from now.
2. I never focus on the details. Tiny decisions can spell the difference between whether I lose weight or gain. Did I pick nuts and dried fruit with my yogurt or fresh strawberries and blueberries? Did I spend twenty minutes sitting on the couch or twenty minutes on a brisk walk? Small details can add up to huge results.
3. While exercising don’t compare myself to others…just work within my limits and take it slow and steady.
4. Eat breakfast. A good breakfast will help me stay on track all day, but I tend to get lazy and just have a protein shake. Ella fed me oatmeal each morning while visiting her in Dec. I now enjoy a bowl of oatmeal with chopped apples and cinnamon with yogurt on top ( I am going to try oatmeal with a chopped banana and peanut butter tomorrow).
5. Stop looking in the mirror and yelling at my thighs – this doesn't do anything to encourage my weight loss efforts.
6. Lift weights. I know resistance training is one of the best things for me, but I have not got around to working in the weight room yet.
7. Planning is crucial. I need to plan for when I am out of the house, to take along snack in the car.
8. Put the scales in perspective. Don’t fret over small fluctuations – focus on the healthy things I’m doing for my body. I have not taken measurements yet and this should be done to help reduce my dependence on the scales for feedback.
9. Be more adaptable. Make my weight loss plans fit around my life and not the other way around. Sometimes circumstances change and my routine may no longer work. Flex and tweak.
10. Set a non-scale goal. Challenge myself to do ten push ups. Focusing on fitness means not fretting about the numbers so much.
11. Accept that sometimes it’s going to suck. Despite my best intentions there will be days when I fall into a bowl of ice cream or chocolate. But long term success is about persistence, not perfection. It’s picking myself up when I fall down. Over and over again.
12. Don’t think about it. Just do it. If I think about it, I will talk myself out of it.
13. Ignore the brain chatter and make exercise a priority non-negotiable item in my day. No “dog ate my shoes”, or “tired feet, tired knees, bored, bad weather, flasher in the neighbourhood” Just work out, without thinking about it. Be active no matter what excuse crosses my mind.
14. Don’t wait for a work out partner to come along, go exercise by myself.
15. Do something I like and whatever I do, stick to it. Don’t quit after a few weeks when I don’t see results. Something is always better than nothing, and starting small will mean that my results will be gradual…so don’t get disappointed.

How are you doing sticking to these goals?
ReplyDeleteHave you reviewed them since you wrote them?
Can you write a few that are written in positive language that can be "checked off" a list that you can carry around with you daily?
Have you started / continued journalling your food and exercise?
Just a few questions that came up after reading this. It is a great breakdown of the "problems" that have been plaguing you.
Keep it up! It ain't easy but things that are worth doing seldom are.
Have a goal-filled day!
Ella
What?
ReplyDeleteWhat did you say?
I can't hear you very well...must be the froggy voice.
No
No
Maybe
Yes
Thanks coach...I thought once I wrote them down I could then forget about them and go on with my ways.
Okay, okay...I will hand write them and put them on my fridge or somewhere that I have to see them every day.
Thanks for watching and checking.