Monday, March 23

Stereotypes, Celebrations?

I spent time setting a goal and committing to it. 

Yet, I haven't yet takes any time to think about what my life will be like when I achieve that goal. 
I never had thought to the end of the goal... "How will I feel about myself? How will I celebrate?

I'm not sure I have the answer yet, but I hope it will be a with a sense of pride that I have stopped neglecting myself, and more importantly I will  have learned to stop blaming others for my eating habits. 
I will feel great about being in a room with other women and not feeling as if they are better than I am just because they are slimmer (*note on this point below) and I will feel so much more energy in my daily life because by that point exercise is a habit that occurs without thought (like nail biting).

How will I celebrate?  I will wear a bathing suit again - I will wear a flight suit with a slinky camisole underneath - I will wear a top tucked into my pants - I will buy a new wardrobe - I will take Ella on a hiking/outdoor holiday to celebrate our doing this together as sister in-laws!

I know I haven't been blogging much this past week or two, but it's been a really busy time with the prom dress program going into high gear, at the same time as CD orders are starting to come in, while I am dealing with the slowest workers in the world who are cleaning, drywalling, painting and laying new carpet in our flooded basement...at least that is what they are supposed to be doing.

* note: I had said above "I will feel great about being in a room with other women and not feeling they are better than I am, simply because they are slimmer" and I wanted to clarify this statement.  
There are very few people - especially other women - that I feel inferior. 
In order for me to have a high regard for someone I need to have a lot of respect for something they have done or are accomplishing currently.  There are few people who fit into that category.

When I reflect on what brought about this attitude of inferiority I think it is from the media induced stereotyping of what is attractive, and a lifetime of living with my mother who is a very bright educated women who was always talking about dieting.
That last line makes me look at my cousins who are all either trying to lose weight and are 30-50 lbs heavier then what is their healthy weight, or else they are so uptight about their image that they are at the other end of the scale and morbidly skinny...and all the cousins have mothers who also have always talked about their and their daughters weight.

Okay, I've spent enough time on the computer doing the blog and not getting work done, so adios for now...and think about it...what are you going to do, and how will you feel about yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment