Friday, March 13

Triggers

Do you get the urge to over-eat when you are mad at someone, annoyed or frustrated with yourself?If we'd eat for comfort by reaching into our crisper drawer, we'd be OK. But how many people turn to carrot sticks when they're feeling stressed? I don't know a single one; do you?

It's the high-fat, high-cal foods we love that make us feel better; the more fattening, sweeter or the saltier the food, the better we seem to feel.

The worst part about emotional eating is it actually causes your problems to multiply. Eventually, instead of avoiding the issues you're stuffing down with food, you've created another one altogether -- weight gain, guilt about eating, worsening health ... and then it starts all over again.

I recognized my emotional triggers and being a mother most of them involve my children.  

As a mother you love your children unconditionally...well at least I do...but they so quickly can find a way to make you feel guilty, or speak to you as if you have no knowledge about any subject.   I have always taught my children to be independant thinkers, to be creative and not to follow the crowds just because everyone else is.  I think my kids are wonderful adults now and I take a lot of credit for the way they turned out.  But, my son can reduce me to eating chocolate or fatty foods instantly.

He and I were discussing this subject, after he read my past blog - which is now deleted - and he said "it's your responsiblity mom to get a grip on me being a trigger", or words to that effect. 

Okay, I admit it....he is right!  We bicker about all types of subjects..but he come this bickering honestly, because his mother bickers with her father in-law on all subjects just to get his goat.  

You know the expresson about the apple not falling far from the tree...well in this case it doesn't fall far from the tree, it lands thunk on the head!

So to everyone who has emotionally triggers..

  • Step One: Identify Your Triggers
  • Step Two: Recognize Hunger Signals
  • Step Three: Limit Trigger Foods
  • Simply stop stocking your fridge and pantry with the foods you binge on.

  • Step Four: Don't Skip Meals
  • Skipping meals almost always leads to over-eating.

  • Step Five: Create Alternatives to Eating
  • Whether it's a bubble bath or curling up with a good book, planning other activities will help you relax and avoid binges.

When you trip up -- because you will (We all do!), don't give up. Forgive yourself and start over the next day. Learning from your mistakes and focusing on the positive will go along way in ensuring your continued weight loss success.

No comments:

Post a Comment