Friday, February 13

Consistency and Motivation

Are you consistent because you’re motivated, or are you motivated because you’re consistent?

How do you use them together and what is this mysterious thing called motivation which other people seem to have in abundance?

Which comes first consistency or motivation? Consistency because with it you see the results you want.
What is the purpose of consistency…it gives you motivation.

There must be an end point though, i.e. “when I hit this goal I will change my routine”, or “I have a 10K race to train for”.  The end point can be cycled around to stay motivated.

If something is really important you will find a commitment.

Like brushing your teeth. You do it twice a day. Some days you do a better job than others, some days you just do it quickly and others you do every little tooth and then floss. Exercise is not even a daily commitment. Like brushing our teeth, some days you just quickly go through your routine and don’t do such a thorough job, you just don’t feel like putting in a full effort, but you still exercise.

Today’s commitment and motivation theme ties in with yesterdays positive self-talk.

I had a commitment last night to my curling team so I went, even though I wasn’t thrilled about going. After a great 2 ½ hr game we go into the lounge area where we eat and drink.  I had my usual soda water and noticed that someone had put a plate of potato chips on our table. Now anyone who knows me really well is aware that I consider, or did consider, potato chips as a major food group!  I thought about all the hard work I had been doing and how great I felt about the healthy eating and exercising…I took two of the chips and placed the plate far on the other side of the table. I felt no desire for the chips after that I was quite happy with the grapes and cheese.

Commitment today: I woke up and saw a blue sunny sky but the temp was not as mild as yesterday, yet I put on my hiking boots and grabbed my ipod and proceeded to do a 25 minute high intensity (for me it was high intensity) walk run session. The longest 60 second full out run just happened to take place when I was at the foot of the steepest hill…almost died on that one!

Feel great about doing this. Although, my foot which was broken last summer, hurts afterwards when I walk in my hiking boots. I think I need to go today and buy a new pair of hiking shoes which are lower and less weight than my boots.

This purchase will lead to a motivation….use them or waste the money!

Does this consistency and motivation work for you? Which comes first and how does it work for you?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! You rock!!

    BTW You really deserve the new hiking boots!

    Keep up the good work!

    Ella

    ReplyDelete